Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What is the last thing you do before bed?

Maybe this sounds familiar to you: Upon deciding to turn in for the night my husband simply sheds his clothing and climbs into bed. He then falls asleep and is snoring within two minutes of closing his eyes.

Meanwhile....... When I decide to go to bed I first check on my children, making sure they are still tucked in. I pick up the blanket and stuffed animals my toddler has thrown to the floor, sometimes I even have to replace her jammies as she likes to strip them off after I put her down. Then I send the dog outside, giving her one last chance to take care of business. I put away anything left out on the counters or floor and check the calendar for the next day. I make a list of all that I hope to accomplish or need to remember tomorrow and then I usually start a load of laundry. I brush my teeth, floss when I remember to, wash my face, remove my contacts, pluck my eyebrows a little bit, and can't forget to pee. I get out my Bible and read a bit. When I can hardly keep my eyes open I get into bed. As I lay there I make plans in my head of things I want to or need to, take care of. I strategize how to get my toddler to eat more, worry myself about my middle child starting kindergarten next fall, wonder whether or not I am too hard on my oldest, contemplate when I should start potty training the little one, make lists in my head, think about what I am going to make for dinner tomorrow night, replay a conversation I had that didn't go as planned, pray about all the things that went wrong today and about all the things I need help with tomorrow, and finally, sleep relieves me from the mental chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment