Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving is an American holiday. Do you think an annual "day of thanks" should be celebrated earth wide? Is the positive often overlooked?

Thanksgiving is an American holiday with historic significance. It is a tradition of American culture. I am not going to say the whole world should adopt an American holiday, that would be very arrogant & presumptuous.
The second part of the question actually reads, "Do you feel the focus on the positive in our lives is too often overlooked in favor of the negative or sensational?"
Yes, I do. I could go on and on about the media and the news coverage and everyone with an ungrateful attitude and blah, blah, blah. No one wants to hear my views any more than I want to expound on them. I can't change the world's way of thinking, but I can change mine. I am responsible for myself.
I am never going to be a Pollyanna, nor do I care to be. Pollyannas grate on my nerves. On the other end of the spectrum is Debbie Downer, and I certainly don't want to be her either. I refuse to ignore the negatives of life and I refuse to sugar coat them. However, I can choose not to dwell on them. I can choose to appreciate who and what I have in my life. I can choose to be grateful for the multitude of blessings I have been bestowed. Of course I am still going to gripe, as I am far from perfect after all. But when I make the choice to focus on the positive in my own life I find I like myself better.

No comments:

Post a Comment