Monday, November 7, 2011

Making family time is important to me. How do you balance your children, relationship, and work life? (Guest post by Ricki Lake)

I find Ricki's statement, "Making family time is important to me.", obnoxious. For the past two hours I have been attempting to put my finger on the exact reason why I think this statement is so ridiculous.
Could it be due to the fact that it states the inherently obvious? Just why does Ms. Lake feel it necessary to point out to us all that Yes! her family is important to her? Am I the only one who thinks her need to make such a declaration actually cheapens the sentiment she was attempting to convey? I feel Ricki is implying she is better than me, after all family time is important to her. It comes across as though she is suggesting family time must not be universally important to all of us. Her statement is annoyingly exclusionary, does she assume to have cornered the market on family importance? I suppose the rest of us are just callous losers who don't make family time important?
Am I crazy, or just cranky this morning?
Of course family is important to me as well, Ricki. For the record, I am defending myself only because you called me out.
As to how I balance my children, relationship, and work life? Well, that is a no-brainer. For starters I don't work so cross one off my list of things to "balance". I also don't dance with any stars, video tape myself giving birth in my bath tub, or interview multiple candidates in an attempt to find the real baby daddy. I simply stay home with my kids. I think you would find this, in and of itself, provides ample opportunity for family time. We do it all, every single day. From reading books to coloring, baking, taking walks, helping with homework, board games, crafts and even a few Disney movies. My husband is always incorporated into that mix. When he is not at work that is, one of us does have to pay the bills after all. However; when he is home I am as well. It really is as simple as that.
So, there you have it, balance. And it really wasn't that hard to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment